Thursday, April 13, 2017

Reflection, Unit 4.1

Microphones for Broadcast
Photo from Pexels
Shifting the focus off writing for reading, like with the Op-Ed and letter to the editor from last unit, this unit in public relations writing was about shifting to writing for the ear in a broadcast. We examined writing public service announcements for both radio and television, with the final project being a PSA script for radio. 

I haven't worked much with writing for broadcast. During my freshman and sophomore years at Eastern Oklahoma State College, I had the opportunity to take a video production class where we could learn about writing for visual broadcast. Unfortunately, my schedule never allowed me to take this class. 

Since then, the only experience I've had with writing for broadcast was writing two scripts in Writing for Mass Media, JMC-2033. One script was for radio and the other was a VOSOT for television. At the time, I didn't think I would utilize broadcast writing in my future career.

When we think of public relations professionals, we automatically associate them with producing written content, like news releases, position papers, etc., video, social media posts, and other things. We rarely think of public relations professionals writing scripts for PSAs to be used in radio or television. 

I don't feel that I am bad at writing scripts. I feel like the scripts I produce are plain and uninteresting. After seeing the power of PSAs in this unit, I realized the importance of learning this specific type of writing. PSAs are great ways of reaching our publics via television and radio. 

There are a thousand ways to skin a cat, as we say in southeastern Oklahoma. I think the same could be said of script writing. I have seen multiple formats of scripts. The important thing, in my opinion, is writing a script that communicates to producers what is going to be said, heard and seen in the proper sequence. This assignment helped me think about the spot in real-time and how it would sound to an audience. 

Putting that into practice was simple. I wrote my PSA for PRSSA's Panel on Inclusion. I included a hook and all the facts that one would need to know for the event. It's not the flashiest of PSAs, but it does get the job done, in my opinion. 

Now that I know the importance of PSAs and broadcasts in public relations, I will look for more avenues of practicing writing scripts and producing pieces. That way, I can become even more valuable in the field with an extensive set of skills.  

No comments:

Post a Comment